Friday, October 2, 2009

Swimming in the Rain!

Despite the storms that rolled in yesterday, Alex attempted to go swimming. Since Sunday she has asked if she can go swimming if she covers her PIC line. She was willing to ruin the line for a few minutes in the pool. She hasn't been able to swim in years because of all of the attachments she has. A friend told us about a Senior Center in Irving with a heated pool and a wheelchair ramp. We loaded up yesterday and took her for a swim. She made it down the ramp, freaked out, and turned around! Swimming wasn't all she thought it would be. She sat and watched Andrew and Dad fly down the plastic slide, Amanda and mom be caught in the whirlpool, and she "pushed" people into the pool. She had a good time despite her lack of swimming!

Because she has not been dialysized, she has alot of fluid in her system. This is expected. Her breathing is very labored due to all of the fluid so it is difficult for her to get out. She still has her sense of humor, which we all love. I think the plan for today is to just spend time with our family and play games.

3 comments:

  1. I heard the birthday party was FANTASTIC. I am so happy to hear that. Also, I heard Alex had TONS of gifts to open. Glad to hear that she had a fantastic day....she definitely deserves it, as well as the entire family having a fantastic day together :)

    I can see Alex pushing people in the pool...she probably had a huge smile on her face and laughing her sweet laugh.

    I hope you all enjoy your family day playing games...I bet you Alex will WIN all the games...she is pretty good at games.

    My thoughts are with Alex and the entire family. Much love to you all - Kathy

    p.s. The picture of Alex with Taylor Swift is posted in the breakroom at the hospital for all to see. What a special moment that was for Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad she gave you all a run for your money in the pool. I hope she pushed you all in. I wish so badly I could take all of this away from you but I am very excited that Alex is the lucky one who gets to meet Her Father!! I love you all more than I can express and I am in awe of the stregnth and loved that you all have. Please let me know what I can do to help you. I would also like to come over and see all of you but I don't want to interrupt family time, so let me know when would be a good time. I love you bunches!!!! Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alex,

    I'm so proud of you for trying to go swimming. Did Phinny get to go swimming, too? I'm glad you got to push people in - sounds just like you.
    Have fun playing games today! I'm sure you're winning them all, because you are always beating me.
    Thinking of you and praying,
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete