Thursday, August 20, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Yesterday was Alex's birthday and boy what a birthday it was. She had to get a shot of latacaine and her PICC line in her leg had to be restitched. She was a real trooper through that process. She was dialysized yesterday and she then had to have her dialysis catheter site dressing changed. And if all that wasn't enough she had to have her finger stuck last night, right in the middle of her party, so that her blood sugar could be tested. Alex HATES to have her finger stuck. She will tell us before anyone even sticks her that she is going to fight you and that you are going to have to hold her down. But we all know that is Alex. The best thing was that she took a few steps yesterday. Until yesterday she had not taken more than one step at a time to get to her wheelchair or the bedside potty.

But in spite of all that she looked awesome. Her hair had been fixed and she was dressed in one of her new shirts that she had gotten. She was just worn out from all the "excitement." Unfortunately, she did not have any cake or eat her special birthday meal. I know that she was happy to have all of us up there with her. When we all left last night I heard one of the nurses ask how many people we had in that room. Believe it or not we were able to cram 10 people, 11 including Phinny, in her room. Sure it wasn't the ideal way for Alex to spend her 15th birthday. But her room was fully decorated with Hannah Montana gear and everyone who knew her got her a present. Which we pointed out to Alex was a positive thing about her being in the hospital for her birthday.

Dr. Quan is anticipating that Alex will be home by this weekend. She will go home with the PICC line in and still on TPN for 18 hours a day. But she will be home. And we hope that by her being home that she will be able to feel like she can eat. She is stuck in "hospital" mode right now and is mentally not going to get any better because she is in there. If she is still not eating in a month, then it will be a possibility that she may have to have a feeding tube put in.

To everyone who called, sent a gift, or came to see Alex yesterday we thank you so much. No girl wants to spend a birthday in the hospital but the smallest gesture can really help make the biggest impact in her life.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Alex and family,
    I know I am a day late for your birthday, but I wanted to wish you a happy one and hopefully you had the best day possible -- it certainly sounds like you did. I think about you all quite a bit (even Phinny...) and read your blog every day, so please keep me posted on your progress. Hope you get to go home this weekend!

    With love from Alabama,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alex, It sure sounds like you had a great brithday and was surrounded by love and good wishes. Today is Uncle James's birthday. He started his celebration last night by asking for Biscuits and Gravy, Scrambled Eggs and the trimmings. I must say it was rather tasty. This morning at the coffee shop, all his buddies sang Happy Birthday. He told them he had to hurry home because he knew that I would have a birthday cake in the oven.........Wrong.....We went to Naples for a fish lunch...Pretty Good...I came home and I do, indeed, have a birthday cake in the oven now. Yellow cake with cherries on top.....I wonder where he is taking me tonight for HIS Birthday....I kinda like the celebrating........I sure hope you get to go home this week end. I know that is your wish, too. I know Phineas will be glad for you to be home, too. Now that you are fifteen, you can start telling people that you are almost sixteen. That sounds really grown up. Do you like your new hair cut. It is probably easier to take care of now that it is shorter...Hope your day is great....We get to celebrate Kayce's birthday on Monday....There are a lot of great people who were born in August..Please tell Mom and Dad and your great Sissys that we love them and are praying for you all..........Love you much............Aunt Nell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ya girl and hope you had a great birthday, but look forward to the big party at home!!!! Keep on going girl!!! I'm proud of ya and can't wait to see ya at the house!!!

    ReplyDelete